Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Snowed-in? Let's Cook!


Finally, a full month into winter, we are expecting our first big snowstorm of the season. And from the looks of it, this could be a BIG one! 

The very first thing I think of when a big snowstorm is coming is what will I cook? We will be snowed in for a day or two, and with lots sledding, snowball fights and snowman making expected, we will be hungry! Here are some of my favorite things to make while looking out my kitchen window at a beautiful winter wonderland. Most of these meals also make great leftovers and are even better on day 2. 


Hands down, my favorite cold weather dish is this Guinness Beef Stew. It has a slight kick from the cayenne, and deep, rich flavor from the Guinness. 


This no-knead crusty bread pairs perfectly with the stew. Even better, it's such an easy recipe that even a non-baker like me can't mess it up.




Another favorite dinner that makes the most amazing leftovers is a Whole Roast Chicken. Serve it with some mashed potatoes, stuffing and veggies for the ultimate stick to your ribs dinner. I love making chicken salad and soups with the leftovers! 



Love using your crock pot? I use mine most often for pulled pork, and this Guinness Pulled Pork is my favorite way to prepare pulled pork. Put it on a sandwich with some homemade cole slaw, BBQ sauce, and pickles. 



Chicken and dumplings. My mouth waters just thinking about this dish! Creamy and delicious with easy homemade dumplings.



I love lasagna (who doesn't?). Instead of a traditional recipe, try this Sausage, Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna



Grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch is a must. I love the heat from this Fire Roasted Tomato Soup. 


Want something that will really warm you up and make your house smell amazing? This homemade chicken soup is just that. And with all the extra time you could even make your own noodles (it's easy!!!).




I personally love a good chowder for a hearty lunch. Bacon makes everything better, and it is just perfect in this Potato and Corn Chowder with Bacon


We can't forget about a hearty breakfast before going out to shovel and snowblow. I love a good fritatta, like this Asparagus Ham Frittata or a Broccoli-Red Pepper-Potato Frittata.  



These Whole Grain Apple Cinnamon Pancakes are made with flaxseed and will definitely fill your belly (without the guilt!).

And what is a snow day without some baking? These Krispies cookies are perfect with a mug of hot chocolate.






Happy Cooking! 

Print this post

1 comment:

  1. I cooked all weekend too - please check out my post - www.fabulousindeed.com Who knows what I will make tomorrow as I am sure we won't be getting out again - haven't left the house since Friday!

    ReplyDelete