Thursday, January 28, 2016

Escarole & White Bean Soup


When I was buying the escarole for this soup recipe I realized that I had never cooked with it before. It's not a green I would think of to just saute with dinner, and I have mostly seen it used in soups and salad mixes. I knew what sort of flavor to expect, so I was looking forward to using it in this hearty but healthy soup.

I found the recipe on the Eating Well site. I read the recipe and immediately changed some things, including the amount of broth. They called for two 14-oz cans of broth, but I knew there was no way a full head of escarole and 2 cans of beans mixed with 28 oz of broth would end up a soup. I wanted something brothy (and you can see from the picture it is still a veggie packed soup) so I doubled the amount of liquid and changed the amounts of the veggies.

I really, really liked this soup as it was very filling and satisfying. The garlic added a great kick and the escarole really held up, adding nice texture. This is a perfect vegetarian soup, but if you want to turn it into a meaty meal, saute some hot Italian sausage and add it to your bowl. I prefer cooking the sausage separately, anyway, instead of in the soup so the soup doesn't get too greasy.


Escarole & White Bean Soup
Adapted From: Eating Well

Ingredients

  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
  • 1 sm carrot, finely chopped
  • 1/2 c grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
  • 48 oz vegetable broth
  • 2 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1 can small white beans
  • 1 head of escarole, washed well and chopped
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • Optional: shredded Parmesan cheese for serving
  • Optional: cooked, crumbled hot Italian sausage, for serving


Directions

  • Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat
  • Add the onions, garlic, celery, carrots and tomatoes; saute 4 minutes
  • Add the Italian seasoning and broth; bring to a simmer and let cook until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
  • Stir in the beans and escarole, season with salt and pepper to taste, and simmer until the escarole is just tender, about 5 minutes. 
  • Optional: serve with cheese and/or sausage



Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment