Friday, December 13, 2013

Tomato-Basil Soup



Bloggers' Choice is always my favorite theme in the Taste of Home Cooking Recipe Swaps. The only problem is when you get a blog that has too many recipes that you want to try!


 I was given a blog I was already familiar with, The Barbee Housewife. I went back and forth between chicken recipes, pasta recipes, and finally decided to make a Tomato-Basil Soup. I've made tomato soup a few different ways, but this one looked very simple, and I was curious to see what adding the butter at the end would do. The flavor of the soup was like some I have had at restaurants, and I think it must have been the butter! The original recipe called for an entire stick of butter, but I added it slowly, tablespoon by tablespoon, while tasting it, and only ended up using half of a stick. I also added garlic because I just love garlic.


I'm so glad I made this soup, especially since we had snow twice in three days over the time I made it - it was the perfect lunch after playing in the snow for a while with my daughter!

Tomato-Basil Soup
Source: The Barbee Housewife

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups of Whole, Peeled, Canned Tomatoes, crushed
  • 4 cups of Tomato Juice
  • Added: 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 12-14 Basil Leaves
  • 1 cup of Heavy Cream
  • 1 stick of Butter, unsalted (I used 1/2 of a stick)
  • 1/4 teaspoon of Cracked Black Pepper
Directions:
  •  Combine tomatoes, garlic, and juice in a large pot over medium high heat. Simmer for 30 minutes. Let the soup cool slightly.
  • Add the basil leaves and puree the soup either in small batches in a blender/food processor or by using a handheld immersion blender.
  • Return the soup to the pot and add the cream and butter (I suggest adding a tablespoon at a time until you get the flavor you want) while stirring over low heat until the cream and butter are incorporated.








Print this post

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you liked this and very happy to know that it tastes just as great with only 1/2 a stick of butter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I recently decided I don't like soup but this looks like it would be great to dip grilled cheese into on a cold winter day.

    ReplyDelete